Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My Favorite KoolAid

A very wise woman I know, described her different phases of life like this: during her childhood she made the KoolAid her Mom wanted; after she was married, she was stuck with her husband's favorite KoolAid; then made what her son wanted. Story goes on, but after a nasty divorce, she was in the grocery store and realized she had absolutely NO IDEA what her favorite flavor of KoolAid was-She'd never made it for herself!

Around the time I turned 35, I realized that I had lost something. To be honest-I had no idea who "I" was anymore..

Separate from anyone else, if I were to introduce myself to someone-without saying I was a wife and Mom-Who was I? It was an extremely hard realization to come to.. There was a time period that I even mourned the loss of my "self"..

Insert backstory-
My husband and I met during my sophomore year of high school through an after-school job. He went to school in a nearby town. We didn't date until my second year of college, found out we were expecting soon after, moved in together and I was due with T on our one-year dating anniversary.. Yep-that fast.. Anyway, we were married less than a year after her birth. Reason for my backstory- to show how I've never lived on my own. I will definitely encourage my daughters to have time out on their own-because I believe a person learns so much about them self when not responsible for a husband and kids, yet are responsible for themselves (no longer living with Mom and Dad).

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying-I do NOT regret anything-not one second-none of it. Being a mother has been the most rewarding experience-my daughters fill my life with so much joy-it overflows!

It's just that I didn't know who I was.. What I like to do.. Where I like to shop.. I'm still learning, and it's been umm..an entertaining challenge...but I am proud of myself and how far I've come..

If you're reading this, nodding your head, and thinking, "Who am I?", just follow the advice a smart woman once gave.

Go to the store and find the KoolAid aisle, pick up one of every flavor, take them home and try them all out.

Find out what your favorite KoolAid is!

Big Hugs~
melissa

2 comments: