Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day ideas

So I figured everyone was going to be jumping on the Valentine's day bandwagon for posting so figured that I'd share my thoughts/ideas also..

Do I think we should celebrate? Hell, yes! Why not enjoy a day when candy is an awesome gift? Chocolate-anytime, anywhere! Lol

Do I think that we shouldn't celebrate those that we love during the other 364 days of the year? Of course I think that we should make time for each other during the entire year but our schedules get filled with games, playdates, and meetings.

I also think though that we are usually setting ourselves- and those we love- up for disappointment by having the big expectations for this Hallmark holiday.

This is what I encourage you to try:

1. Talk to your spouse/significant other with plenty of time to spare and have a spending limit of around $20 if you do gifts. Ladies- this won't get you roses but really-flowers are an "out-of-the-blue" gift. Wouldn't it be better to get them when you have NO idea that they are coming? Flowers on V-day are soooo expensive anyway!

2. Plan an in-house dinner for the two of you to plan and make together. Try a new recipe, but cooking together can be quite the starter- and you won't have to worry about overcrowded restaurants. If you can't find a sitter- feed the kids a frozen pizza and fix yours AFTER they go to bed.

3. Turn on the music after dinner- NOT a movie! Play a card game, dance, whatever- but DO NOT TURN ON THE TV! It'll get the conversation going if you are actively doing something together- instead of tuning everything out. Isn't being with the one that you love really what V-day is for? I have also found quite a few "20 questions" activities for married couples online- some are really funny!

4. During the rest of the year- plan a little rendezvous for just the two of you, schedule monthly date nights, and take a mental health day from work every once in a while to just stay home together.

Happy Valentine's Day to You! XOXO

~Big hugs to my followers
melissa

Oh and by the way- I've got to give a shout out to my husband! I love you Babe!!

3 comments:

  1. Love your ideas. We are actually planning a quiet dinner at home, but I'm not sure I'll endure a tv ban :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Valentine's was sweet. My husband bought Brody and I some chocolate dipped strawberries and they were yummy. Husband's are awesome, aren't they? Well, most of the time. I like your banner - I may be going to that website to see what that's all about.
    KIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound great! I suppose we sort of lucked out, by default... our toddler has his birthday on Valentine's Day. Our own little cupid! So no matter what, we get to fill the day with chocolates and excursions... this year was the zoo :)

    ReplyDelete