Monday, January 14, 2013

The Party of 3 Generations

Today I had a moment.  It came at me out of nowhere, totally unexpected and caught me completely by surprise.  

The day didn't start out as a typical Monday with the hurried rush of making sure the girls are getting ready like they should while I am running out of the door, heading to work. I was off of work today, so I had a Dr.'s appointment, and then went shopping.

I went to a local craft store that I love.  It was nice to look around the store without knowing the hubby and kids are looking at the clock and whispering, "How much longer can she really spend in here?".. They don't really say much when we are there, but (God bless them for trying to make me happy) I know when they don't want to be somewhere.  

I'm standing in this aisle looking at clearance Christmas decorations, and there's this woman in the same aisle.. We start that idle chit-chat, you know, the chit-chat that sounds like, "The birdhouses are so adorable, but not worth the $50 marked on them.." chit-chat.  It was so odd, I felt like I knew this woman.. Then I made a comment on how nice it was to just take my time and look at everything without hubby and my teen daughters.

This stranger seems so familiar, she says that her daughter loves going there with her, but is only four.  She then says that the four-year-old is in the back of the store with her mother, the child's grandmother. 

After a minute or so, I looked to my left and saw another woman that was older, with a little girl of about 4, all dressed in pink.

And that is the moment.. I don't know this blessed woman, this woman who is so fortunate to have her mother and her little girl that still believes in magic and is at that age where everything is wonderful and new.  I would probably never recognize her if I saw her on the street or in the mall, but I will never forget that feeling..  What I felt when I saw this woman join her mother, her little girl and become a Party of 3 Generations.. 

My mother, Vickie, was taken by lung cancer on June 20, 2002.  She hadn't had her 62nd birthday yet, I hadn't had my 24th- both of our birthdays were in July.  The girls were only 5 and 2.  

She enjoyed making things and would have so loved to have been in a craft store with me on a random Monday picking out crafts with the girls.  

I saw a reflection today of what could have been if my mother had been healthier and lived longer.  It wasn't meant to be, and I have made peace with that.  

I don't have the right to want this, but I do..  I want those adult daughters that get asked to shop with their mothers- I want them to do it..  I wish they would, because none of us know how many more shopping excursions, lunch dates, phone calls, or hugs we have left from the woman who gave us life.  

The woman that I saw today was thoroughly enjoying her "Party of 3 Generations".  If I saw her again, I would say to her- Thank you.  Thank you for appreciating the time you have with the precious people in your life because there are many of us out there that aren't as fortunate to still have them..  

Hugs to my followers~
melissa

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, do I get this!! I no longer have a grandmother, mine were all taken before I cared as an adult. Now my kids have one grandmother and a step-gran, but they are 2000 miles away. I would love to hang out in a multi generational setting. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- it sounds like your family is really spread out!

    ReplyDelete